Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Big Sleep


Title: The Big Sleep
Author: Raymond Chandler
Genre: Crime/Mystery/Detective
Pages: 231
Rating (out of 5 stars): ***1/2
Reviewed by: Ben
Description: The first of the Philip Marlowe stories, The Big Sleep, follows the story of a private detective (Marlowe) on a case involving murder, blackmail, and a millionaire. Set in the late 1930's in the seamy side of Los Angeles.
Thoughts: I've got to rate The Big Sleep pretty high up there on the mystery/detective list of books I've read. Chandler's writing is definitely in the classic detective style: short, spare sentences, attention to detail, and plenty of plot twists. A sample:

"I had a room and half on the seventh floor at the back. The half-room was an office split in two to make reception rooms. Mine had my name on it and nothing else, and that only on the reception room. I always left this unlocked, in case I had a client, and the client cared to sit down and wait.

"I had a client. "

At any rate, this book was very entertaining, fast moving, and had enough twists to get you tied in knots here and there. Marlowe is a bit like an American version of James Bond; less suave, grittier, and just enough luck to stay alive.

If you don't want to take the time to read the book, it was made into a movie with Humphrey Bogart. Jenn and I both think that the book is quite a bit better, though.
Disclaimer: This book is not G-rated. Like Bond, Marlowe has the opportunity to be a little promiscuous, but luckily has high enough morals to say no (unlike Bond). A nude photograph of a woman is used for blackmail. There is some swearing. There is plenty of smoking and drinking.

No comments: