Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Wright Brothers


Title: The Wright Brothers
Author: David McCullough
Genre: History
Pages: 336
Rating (out of 5 stars): *****
Reviewed by: Ben
Description: The Wright Brothers get the McCullough treatment, with an in-depth look at their lives and their amazing invention of the world' first flying machine.
Thoughts: This was one of my favorite McCullough books (and I've read a few now).  Thoroughly captivating from start to finish, and with just the right level of detail for my taste.  I especially enjoyed the sections detailing how they performed careful analysis and controlled experiments to arrive at their unique (and, ultimately, correct) solution to the flying problem.  I came away from the book with a great appreciation for their intelligence, bravery, and doggedness in attacking a problem until it was solved.  A really great book.
Disclaimer: None.

1 comment:

tysqui said...

Excellent book. Having lived a few years in Dayton while growing up I knew a bit about the Wright Brothers, but it wasn't until I read this book that I realized the geniuses that they were. Inventing the airplane was not a fluke, it required years and years of experimentation, dedication and hard work!