Monday, July 08, 2013
Adapt
Posted by
Ben
at
9:25 PM
Title: Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure
Author: Tim Harford
Genre: Non-fiction
Pages: 352
Rating (out of 5 stars): ****
Reviewed by: Ben
Description: Harford makes the claim that most of the problems we face in today's world are too complex so be solved with a single silver bullet. Instead, he argues that solutions need to evolve, much like complex organisms have evolved and adapted to very difficult environments. He they lays out how to create environments that encourage adaptation, failure, and evolution towards better solutions to our most challenging problems.
Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book a lot. I pretty much buy into Harford's main idea that most problems in our lives, from nationwide issues like healthcare or social security to personal issues like choosing a career or parenting, are so complex that finding the best solution right off the bat is just not likely to happen. I really liked how this book made me think about what I'm doing in my life to stay adaptable and tolerate failure when something that I try doesn't work. I think that the ideas in this book are applicable to nearly anything, and are worth thinking over.
Disclaimer: None.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment