Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Rocket Boys
Posted by
Ben
at
10:44 PM
Title: Rocket Boys
Author: Homer Hickam, Jr.
Genre: Memoir
Pages: 368
Rating (out of 5 stars): *****
Reviewed by: Ben
Description: Homer Hickam, a 14-year-old boy in Coalwood, West Virginia, decides in 1957 that he's going to learn to build rockets so that he can someday get out of his small coal-mining town and join the team in Cape Canaveral. He and his group of friends start learning how to build rockets from scratch and come of age in the process.
Thoughts: This is the best book I've read in the past few months, easily. Maybe I'm just a sucker for coming-of-age stories, but I really enjoyed this book a lot. I love that it's a true story, and it had just enough humor, tension, interesting facts, and difficulties to keep me hooked all the way through. This is the kind of book that I really want my boys to read when they are teenagers; it's all about pushing through difficulties and finding a way to make things work when things don't go your way. All in all, just a great book. Also, the movie October Sky was based on the book, so if you've seen that and liked it, you'll love the book.
Disclaimer: Some teenage romance, but nothing too descriptive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm almost done with this book and have LOVED it. I totally agree with Ben's 5 star assessment.
Post a Comment