Thursday, May 21, 2009

Gilead



Title:
 Gilead
Author: Marilynne Robinson
Genre: Modern Fiction
Pages (words): 256 (84,830)
Readability: 7.4
Rating (out of 5 stars): ***1/2
Reviewed by: Ben
Description: The entire novel is a letter from an elderly father to his young son.  The father knows that he is going to die soon, and wants to write down all of the things he'd like to tell his son if had had the chance to raise him to manhood.  
Thoughts: I would have liked this book a lot more if I had read it on paper rather than listened to it on my mp3 player.  The majority of the first 3/4 of the book is quite philosophical, as the father tells his son about life, and philosophy is easy to tune out if you are only listening to it.  There are plenty of short stories and vignettes in this section, but I think it would have been a lot better if I had read it.  That being said, I really enjoyed the book overall, and the last 1/4 was incredibly good, when there is more of plot to go with the philosophy.  What I really liked about the book was how it made me think about people who make bad choices, and how we can incorrectly stigmatize those people.  It's one of those books that I've thought a lot about even after I finished it, and that's a good thing.  Overall, I highly recommend this one for when you are in a thoughtful mood, and can read it from a real page.  Oh, and a huge thanks to my good friend Brittany for recommending this one to me.  If anyone has recommendations, let me know!
Disclaimer: None.

No comments: